Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hard Work

Ugh, long day. Quick recap: I rode Isis this morning. She was pretty good. Then I went over to Val's and cleaned all the pens. Val was hauling horses for someone so Larry and I rode after I was done with the pens. I rode a horse I have never ridden before. He's a 17 hand colored warmblood, a dutch/something cross named Czar. He was alright to ride. Very big and maybe a little clunky feeling. He's not very far along in his training, and he was a little lazy at first. Figuring out his canter cue was also a bit tricky. I had to "sit down" mentally and invision going into the canter, and once I did I could get the canter. After riding I cleaned the stalls and then went for a trail ride on Grady. After the trail ride Larry and I stacked hay. Then I had a riding lesson, also on Grady. We worked on leg yields. I have a difficult time teaching leg yields off my right leg. If I am riding a horse that KNOWS how to leg yield I can leg yield as long as you'd like. When I was riding Holly, who was trained to 3rd Level and was training me at 3rd Level, my leg yields were flawless. There are many other horses that I can leg yield without a second thought. But TEACHING the leg yield off my right leg is SO HARD for me. Both Isis and Grady leg yield like super horses off my left leg. Off my right it's like, oof, ugh, ergh, SO not pretty. I know it's my fault, because I have the same problem on both horses. Isis leg yields alright, but it's quite difficult on Grady. Val got on Grady to see how he felt, and even she had difficulty getting him to cross. Even at the end he wasn't consistent, but better.

The fact that I can't teach the leg yield off my right leg seriously annoys me. I WANT to, I WANT to!! My summer goal is to teach my horses to leg yield nicely off my right leg. AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!

1 comment:

Dressage Nomad said...

Good luck! Leg yielding was the bane of my existence for years (until I started lessons, imagine that). Now I can't believe how easy it is, but teaching it is never fun. My left leg is much weaker than my right leg. As is my left seat bone. I'm struggling with strengthening my left side because I cannot do an effective half halt with my left side which isn't helping my riding very much.