Tuesday, June 24, 2008

THE SHOW

Alrighty, here is the news on the show this past weekend. Grady and I competed in the Sundance Dressage Show on Friday and Saturday. I entered him into Training 2 and 4. It was just me and my parents that went. Val was unable to go. It was long and stressful, and unfortunatly I wasn't feeling 100% so that added an extra element. Thursday evening mom and I gave Grady his bath and clipped him. We then did most of our packing that evening and loaded up the truck and trailor Friday morning. I also braided on Friday morning before we left. (It was SO nice to not have super early ride times!!)

We arrived around 11:30 and got Grady settled in. Then we ate a picnic lunch and watched some of the other tests. My first ride was at 2:38 and since I like to have ample warm up time I started to get ready a little after one. I was then on Grady about 50 minutes ahead of my first class. The warm up went really, really well. He was relaxed and worked quite nicely. Then came the test.

We were riding Training 4 first that day. That test was to be in the main ring, the nicest but also busiest ring. Walking into my test Grady spooked several times. The judge rang the bell, but I was still attempting just to get him together. He then saw the tent next to the ring and that was it. He bolted and started pitching. He actually bolted INTO the arena. Needless to say, it was nothing I could stay with. I fell off, but held onto the reins with my right arm. Grady dragged me half way across the arena!! The judge came out and asked if I was alright. I was, and I asked her if I should leave the arena or if I could try again. She gave me this surprised look and said, "you WANT to try again?!" When I said I did she let me try again. I got back on Grady at A, re-entered the arena and rode an accurate, but tense test. We got 59% and 6th place.

It was quite a way to start out the show. My whites (breeches) had dirt ground into them all along my right leg. I was quite a mess. I was able to ride the test with a smile on my face, but afterwards the shock hit and I had a few teary moments. It was frustrating, but only to a point. I know that this happens to everyone at some time in their riding career. I refused to take it out on Grady, I exited the arena on a loose rein, rubbing Grady and encouraging him. I HATE it when people jerk on the reins or get mad at their horse. Needless to say, it was quite a grand entrance. Like I said, it was frustrating, but I think it's just going to take lots of time and showing so that he learns it's ok to go into the arena and work. He doesn't have confidence yet, so it's my job to help him get there. In the warm up ring you can walk around for 10 minutes before you get to work, but in the show ring you have to go right in and pull it off. It's hard on green horses, so I really can't get upset with him.

My next test was at 3:29. I had just enough time to try and get cleaned up a little bit and get to my next test. The second test was in a different ring, so I knew he'd have to get used to that one too. He warmed up all right for that test. He was still just as tense going in, we got 60% and 3rd place.

After the test I settled Grady back into his stall and we made a trip into town to go to the laundry mat and try to wash my breeches. They were the only pair I'd brought, which was foolish and something I will never do again. The dirt really didn't come out of the breeches, so we bought some Borax and laundry detergent and went back to the show grounds to put my breeches in a bucket of water to soak. After checking on Grady again we went back into town to eat supper (Burger King!) and do some shopping at Fleet Farm.

We tented it at the grounds, something alot of people don't do, but I'm fine with it. I wouldn't sleep any better at a hotel, and I don't feel comfortable leaving my horse anyways. That evening while we were showering and brushing our teeth a trainer from Duluth named Deb came in to shower too. We got aquainted and told our show tales of the day. It was such a blessing to meet her, when she found out that I didn't have a pair of clean breeches she let me use one of hers, they fit very nicely! I am so thankful to Deb from Duluth!!

We got up at 7 and I went and did chores in my jammys. Grady drank TONS of water while we were there, I re-filled his bucket probably once every two hours. After Grady was completely taken care of (food, water, clean stall) we ate breakfast. Then I took Grady out for a walk and washed his sock off because he had a poop stain on it. We spent about an hour relaxing and watching tests, then it was back into the grind for me. I got Grady all prettied up again, and headed out. Neither of the tests were in the main ring, something I was actually kind of thankful for.

Warm up started out AWFUL. Just awful. But I had Val's voice in my ear saying "just ride forward, don't pull, just ride forward." As I warmed up he got it together and he was actually feeling quite nice by the time it was time for our test. The test wasn't great either, we got 62.5% and fifth place.

We had time off between tests, so we watched one of Deb's 3rd Level rides, which was quite nicely done.

Warm up for the last test was AWESOME. By far the best. I was feeling so confident about the test. Going into the arena he was forward, powerful, and amazing feeling. We powered down centerline and had an amazing halt and salute. Then we powered forward again and Grady completely lost it. I could feel him tensing the closer we got to C. The entire test was probably the worst test I have ever ridden. And it WAS the worst score I've ever gotten on any horse. Grady was so hot and bothered I was basically trying to fudge through the entire test. What can you do? All you can do is ride forward and do your best. We got 53% and 5th place.

Even though the show wasn't great over all, I'm still proud of myself and my horse. I was gutsy and strong, and he's still trying to figure out what it means to be a show horse. I am so excited for the next show now. I can't wait to see if he'll be better!!

After we got our scores we packed up and had a safe journey home. It was a stressful weekend, but I'm happy I did it.

Here are a few pictuers. One of them is from the test right after my first test. I'm still in my dirty breeches! The rest are from the next day with Deb's breeches. Thanks again Deb!!








No comments: