Sunday, July 6, 2008

Parkside Dressage

*phew* Life keeps trucking. On the 4th we went with some extended family members to see fire works. The place we go has some of the best in the state - they are always awesome and they get better every year. I am so thankful for my country, where else would I have the opportunties that I have here? I always get teary eyed during fireworks!

I had another show this weekend. Yesterday I worked and then spent the rest of the day getting ready. I only went today (the 6th) because of the 4th of July being Friday. Tradition does not make room for horse shows!! Family time is very important to me.

The show grounds were absolutely wonderful, and the rings were wonderful. Grady was very comfortable in them (amazing!) and didn't even spook once, although he did several times during the warm up. The warm up wasn't so great, it was in a big indoor arena that was really dark and dismal. Grady didn't like it in there at all. But like I said, he was quite comfy in the show rings which I was SO thankful for. Another exciting part of the show was having people there that I know!! My friend Taylor was there with her trainer, so she was a HUGE help to me with getting ready and warming up. Thank you, thank you Taylor!!!

I did Training 2 and 4 again. Our first test, Training 2, was quite nice and I am very pleased with it. We got 62.5% and 5th place. Understand that while 62.5% isn't something most people would be too impressed with, (normally I wouldn't be either) and even though my test was nothing to make anyone else jealouse, being able to go into the ring with Grady and have him work without any major mishaps was SUCH a huge step for us!! I'll never forget reading an article by Jane Savoie in Dressage Today where she talked about making goals for yourself instead of just trying to get great scores or beat everyone else. Then you can be happy when you meet them - and I'm very happy! My goal was to go in, ride a respectable test and not have Grady do anything naughty. I met that goal.

It was EXtremely hot today (coats were waved). It got well above 90 degrees. The show did not provide stalls for those of us that were showing for just one day, so I had to show out of the trailor. Not exactly the most pleasent thing in the world let me tell ya. It was a good experience for Grady though and he did quite well. He did get really really warm though. I rinsed him off with cold water several times, but he really was pretty miserable. I don't feel too badly about it though being as I want him to have as many "life experiences" as possible. The show was such a great show though, I am planning on going both days next year.

He was hot, tired, and unhappy for the second test. BUT he was never naughty, and for that I am so proud of him. Our test was quite lacking. We didn't have any major errors and we didn't have any spooks, but it just lacked pizzazz. The judge even commented that Grady looked really tired. Our lackluster, somewhat pathetic (but not incorrect) test only got 56%. I thought I deserved a little more then that being as there were no major errors, but what can I say? I know it lacked energy, I know Grady was tired, and I refuse to gripe about the judging.

My dad realized at the last minute that the camera didn't have a memory card in it, so he put a the little bitty card that came with the camera in. He only got a couple pictures, so here they are. Neither of them are anything special.



1 comment:

Dressage Nomad said...

You guys look great in the two pictures you did get, I especially like that last one. It sounds like you did well in spite of the weather. And right now I would be thrilled with a 62% with my girl! I'm too chicken to show until this winter anyway though.