Thursday, July 10, 2008

*sigh*

I rode Grady today. He was NOT a good boy. I don't know what to do with him... He can be so brilliant, but that's the exception, not the rule. He has been down right dangerous lately. He was pretty good at the show, but the trick about Grady is that the MORE familiar he is with a place the spookier he gets. This is why I don't believe he's actually scared of things, but instead perhaps bored and annoyed with work. I don't know what to do with him. He's not just "sort of naughty", he is DANGEROUS. I'm sick of fudging through my rides on him, forcing him through his paces while I'm desperatly attempting to prevent him from leaping, bolting, or rearing.

I bought Grady because he was a gorgeous, but challenged horse. I have done everything I know to do. I did several months of interactive ground work (NOT just longeing), have maintained that ground work, trail ride, show, and work him 5 or 6 days a week. All our work has been heavily supervised by a trainer. Grady has greatly improved, but it's been a year and ahalf. I believe his tendency to get jumpy and obnoxious in FAMILIAR areas is a *quirk* of his and I don't think it can be fixed. I can change things up, make things interesting, but in the end I need a horse that I can do consistent dressage on. I love him besides that, but I'm starting to wonder if he's worth my effort...

3 comments:

20 meter circle of life said...

Oh geez this does not sound good. What does your trainer think and does he do the same things to her? Last year I was done with Abu and he was going. I got a wake up call in the form of several broken ribs, a punctured lung and a collapsed lung, I was trying a new horse. Due to my injury I was forced to have my trainer ride Abu for 30 days. I did not sit on him the entire time, I dont know exactly what happened in those 30 days but the Booster was a different boy after that. He still has his moments but after the Tracey Treatment she was able to guide me from the ground on how to address them, and now a year later I can feel the bad pony before it happens. Perhaps he feels your tension as I am sure you are tense when you get on knowing what you are about to deal with and he then feeds off it and you both escalate and end up in a fight. Have you ever ridden the whole ride in the long and low frame?Sometimes taking it back to square one helps.

20 meter circle of life said...

Oh just read your comment on my blog. I can relate. Abu and I were fired by 3 trainers before we met Tracey. What is his breeding? Some are just like that, and it sounds like you are doing all that you can. Odd question but was he started by a man or a woman? I think a new trainer might just be the answer as it is a clean slate.

Dressage Nomad said...

My first reaction to this post was "Oh geez" too, so I'm going to say it even though it was said.

That sounds like a tough situation. I don't really have any suggestions, though is he on any supplements? I had Jessie on Smart Calm Ultra and it did wonders for her nervousness/anxiety when separated from other horses or in new situations. He wasn't spooky, but it might help Grady. I would at least give something with magnesium in it a try, couldn't hurt. You should see results pretty quickly if it's going to help (a week or so I think).

There are lots of reviews on SmartPak for it as well.