Thursday, July 3, 2008

XC Pics

This morning I rode Isis before heading off to my jumping lesson. It was really really cool this morning for July, only 45 degrees F. By the time I rode it was somewhere in the low 50s. Anyways, the bugs weren't bad so I decided to go for a trail ride. I rarely trail ride in the months of June and July because the bugs are SO bad at my house. But since they weren't, we went out. I wanted her to get some excercise so our "trail ride" was mostly trotting and cantering. Oddly enough, Isis really doesn't enjoy that. She can be very big and bold in an arena, but the minute I go out and canter on the trail she sucks back and gets pretty unmotivated. Maybe she's just nervous.


My mom came along to my lesson today because we were going to do some shopping afterwards. And I also had to go to the dentist. I'm actually really glad she came because her directions to the dentist would have been wrong and I would have been loster than lost. Our dentist is quite a ways from our house because that's what my dad's insurance covers. I'm not very familiar with the area, so being as my mom got us lost trying to get there, I'm sure as heck glad I didn't try myself!! (By the way, no cavaties (sp?). I've never had one!!)


My mom is camera impaired, and while she did try, she didn't get many good pictures of my lesson. I'll post the two that managed to have all of Sackett in them!!


This is the only picture my mom got of my jumping. I actually really don't like it, I'm behind the horse a little bit. This roll top is a Novice jump (2'9") and the approach was cantering through the water then two strides to the jump. We had had some balance issues through the water (I'm not great at water yet) so our approach to the jump was a little hairy. I wasn't prepared for the jump, I think that's why I got left behind a bit. But I had alot of awesome jumps where I was right with Sackett. (Why couldn't mom get a picture of THOSE??) Normally I grab mane so I can hold on, stay with him, and not sit back too soon. *shrug* It's ok though, I've only been jumping for three months. I've gotta learn somehow!

The picture is small, but it gives an idea of what Birchbury's cross country course is like. It's VERY nice. It has beginner novice through Prelim jumps with some Intermediates thrown in. The girl on the gray horse is Tess, we're about the same age (both graduated this year), and we're going to be taking lessons on Thursdays together now. She's evented through Prelim so she's quite a bit better than I, but her horse is recovering from some lameness issues so she isn't jumping very high right now. It works out great! Then I can watch a more experienced rider do things before I do them myself.


Anyways, I didn't work since I went to the dentist and did some shopping, but I had a lesson on Grady this evening. He started out lazy as always, but after the first five minutes I got on his case about it (I always let him go lazy for a bit since we're just warming up) and he was EXtremely nice after that. I love it when I can sit the trot and have this big, huge, powerful trot underneath me where the horse's back is up, round, and strong and the horse is absolutely solid on the bit. It's the best feeling! We worked on our leg yields again; I figured out that part of my problem is that I tend to grab onto my left rein and keep it too close to his neck. (When leg yielding off the right leg, my trouble leg) I FORCED myself to get my hand four inches out farther and then he leg yielded really nicely. *he he* *sheepish grin* It's by no means a natural inclination for me to hold my hand out, so it's going to take some work on my part. It felt SO awkward!! So Grady was just awesome, powering along. At the end I went back into posting trot to let him stretch out and he was going really nicely - then did his signature, no warning leap to the side. 90% of these leaps unseat me (it's like having the floor pulled out from underneath you, it's fast and there is NO warning signs from Grady) and this was no exception. But I actually landed on my feet so I got on his case quite severely, got back on, and rode him around that end of the arena again. He was quite good. That little punk.

No comments: